Reference code: CON-GER-STU-MA
(NEW) Master Thesis: Towards autonomous long-haul trucking
Aachen, Cologne, Munich
FEV Consulting GmbH
What we do - and why!
Mobility connects people. People shape mobility. With over 6,600 employees around the globe, we develop revolutionary and efficient drive systems, we cross-link vehicles with each other and their surroundings, and we strive to make our lives safer using intelligent systems. We need the right people at the right place to do so. People who turn visions into reality – who think outside the box and promote innovation. People who are ready to push the envelope. Are you ready?
Vehicle automation technology is about to change how people and goods are transported. While autonomous cars are generally the focus of attention, long-haul trucks offer one of the most compelling use cases for self-driving vehicles.
The objective of this thesis is to derive recommendations for fleet operators/owners regarding the adoption of increasingly automated long-haul trucks. Hence, this research should include the following elements:
1. A technology overview with (a) the clarification of SAE levels and operational design domains (ODD), (b) an overview of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) / automated driving (AD) functions, incl. high-level assessment of technical maturity, and (c) an overview of the technical implementation, i.a., sensor sets, incl. cost estimations
2. A market analysis with (a) the description of potential customers and the corresponding value proposition (customer mix, operation models, TCO analysis for fleet operators, lack of drivers, rest time, equipment cost), (b) a competitor benchmark including truck OEMs and emerging startups, amongst others, and (c) an overview of the regulatory landscape with particular focus on the EU
3. A market outlook to extrapolate the previous findings by deriving and discussing (a) a technology roadmap, i.e., which ADAS/AD functions will likely appear when in the truck market and (b) a market sales forecast by SAE level in the EU
4. Derived recommendations to fleet operators/owners, e.g., regarding the choice of a particular technology (e.g., specific sensor set), its ideal moment of acquisition, its optimal use case (e.g., category of routes), the necessary restructuring of the business, etc.
- You are completing your master's degree in industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, business administration, economics or a comparable course of study at a leading university
- You have exceptional academic performance and impress us with your personal profile
- You ideally gained inital practical experience in consulting or a technical indursty
- You have very good analytical skills
- You are a motivated and committed team player
- You have very good knowledge of MS Office applications
- You communicate very well in English, and you are ideally fluent in the local office language - both verbally and in writing
What we offer
From the very beginning, you will have a mentor and the freedom to grow personally and professionally, because we live an appreciative and contemporary corporate culture. In addition to time-outs during our table tennis or kicker tournaments, there are also regular team and company events. Friday beer or BBQ Lunches on the roof terrace also speak for our close team network.
Diverse career prospects:
Your career path is clearly defined and tailored to you. An open feedback culture and various internal and external training opportunities allow you to discover and perfect your strengths. Regular feedback meetings and project evaluations give you the opportunity to reflect on your work and development.
Satisfied employees perform outstanding work. That's why we give you the freedom to contribute to the company in a flexible and self-organized way. The high project diversity including on and off-site presence as well as compensatory days or remote work ensure the necessary framework to combine professional and private life.
30 days of vacation, capital-forming benefits, employee discounts, or sabbaticals are also available to our colleagues.