(NEW) Master Thesis: Towards autonomous long-haul trucking
Aachen, Cologne, Munich
FEV Consulting GmbH
WHAT WE DO - AND WHY
FEV Consulting is the FEV Group's technology-driven top management consultancy. We act as a guide between strategy development and product realization in today's global environment. We do not simply work for companies, but for our customers - people who want to move society forward. That's why we develop and optimize technical product concepts with our focus on customer benefit, feasibility, sustainability and profitability.
Work together with us on challenging projects from different areas of the mobility, transportation and energy sectors.
Sample topics include: sustainable vehicle and mobility concepts, business transformations to maintain future viability, coupling the energy and transportation sectors, digital services, and business development for innovation.
Vehicle automation technology is about to change how people and goods are transported. While autonomous cars are generally the focus of attention, long-haul trucks offer one of the most compelling use cases for self-driving vehicles.
The objective of this thesis is to derive recommendations for fleet operators/owners regarding the adoption of increasingly automated long-haul trucks. Hence, this research should include the following elements:
1. A technology overview with (a) the clarification of SAE levels and operational design domains (ODD), (b) an overview of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) / automated driving (AD) functions, incl. high-level assessment of technical maturity, and (c) an overview of the technical implementation, i.a., sensor sets, incl. cost estimations
2. A market analysis with (a) the description of potential customers and the corresponding value proposition (customer mix, operation models, TCO analysis for fleet operators, lack of drivers, rest time, equipment cost), (b) a competitor benchmark including truck OEMs and emerging startups, amongst others, and (c) an overview of the regulatory landscape with particular focus on the EU
3. A market outlook to extrapolate the previous findings by deriving and discussing (a) a technology roadmap, i.e., which ADAS/AD functions will likely appear when in the truck market and (b) a market sales forecast by SAE level in the EU
4. Derived recommendations to fleet operators/owners, e.g., regarding the choice of a particular technology (e.g., specific sensor set), its ideal moment of acquisition, its optimal use case (e.g., category of routes), the necessary restructuring of the business, etc.
- You are completing your master's degree in industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, business administration, economics or a comparable course of study at a leading university
- You have exceptional academic performance and impress us with your personal profile
- You ideally gained inital practical experience in consulting or a technical indursty
- You have very good analytical skills
- You are a motivated and committed team player
- You have very good knowledge of MS Office applications
- You communicate very well in English, and you are ideally fluent in the local office language - both verbally and in writing
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
Be part of a great team
We owe our success to our international and diverse team. Become a valuable member and foster strong cohesion!
Expand your network
Join our Stammtisch company dinners - even as an alumnus or alumna! In addition, we inform our students about current customer projects and other internal company activities at our regular "Student Call".
Get the best out of yourself
Feedback is a reality at our company. Your personal mentor is at your side to promote your strengths! Continuously expand your horizons with our internal training opportunities. Our team of consultants will be happy to share their expertise and experience with you.
Diverse career prospects
With us, anything is possible: gain practical experience in consulting alongside the theory in your studies. Do your internship with us. Write your thesis on an exciting project. Or go abroad with us! Plan your start at FEV Consulting, like many talented people before you.