Reference code: CON-GER-STU-MA
(NEW) Master-Thesis: Development of a cost and CO2 model for the battery recycling ecosystem
Aachen, Cologne, Munich
FEV Consulting GmbH
What we do - and why!
Mobility connects people. People shape mobility. With over 6,600 employees around the globe, we develop revolutionary and efficient drive systems, we cross-link vehicles with each other and their surroundings, and we strive to make our lives safer using intelligent systems. We need the right people at the right place to do so. People who turn visions into reality – who think outside the box and promote innovation. People who are ready to push the envelope. Are you ready?
With the development and growth of the electric vehicle market, the recycling of spent lithium-ion batteries is becoming an important research topic. A combination of mechanical, pyrometallurgical and hydrometallurgical processes are used to recover valuable materials from EoL batteries or battery cells generated as scrap during production. The recycled materials can then be reused in battery production. The recycling technologies thus form the cornerstone of the circular economy.
The goal of this thesis is to build a cost and CO2 model for different recycling routes that includes all necessary process steps of the battery recycling ecosystem to compare the competitiveness of different recycling approaches of companies.
- Literature review on battery supply chains, from the mine to recycling
- Create a cost and CO2 model for costs of collection & dismantling,
battery logistics, black mass production
- Extension of the existing cost model for metal extraction based on
machine sets, consumables, etc.
- Evaluation and comparison of different battery recycling ecosystems
- You are completing your master's degree in industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, business administration, economics or a comparable course of study at a leading university
- You have exceptional academic performance and impress us with your personal profile
- You ideally gained initial practical experience in consulting or a technical industry
- You have very good analytical skills
- You are a motivated and committed team player
- You have very good knowledge of MS Office applications
- You communicate very well in English, and you are ideally fluent in the local office language - both verbally and in writing
What we offer
From the very beginning, you will have a mentor and the freedom to grow personally and professionally, because we live an appreciative and contemporary corporate culture. In addition to time-outs during our table tennis or kicker tournaments, there are also regular team and company events. Friday beer or BBQ Lunches on the roof terrace also speak for our close team network.
Diverse career prospects:
Your career path is clearly defined and tailored to you. An open feedback culture and various internal and external training opportunities allow you to discover and perfect your strengths. Regular feedback meetings and project evaluations give you the opportunity to reflect on your work and development.
Satisfied employees perform outstanding work. That's why we give you the freedom to contribute to the company in a flexible and self-organized way. The high project diversity including on and off-site presence as well as compensatory days or remote work ensure the necessary framework to combine professional and private life.
30 days of vacation, capital-forming benefits, employee discounts, or sabbaticals are also available to our colleagues.